CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Prehistorically Speaking




When I was a child we would go to Irish Hills and camp with my grandma and grandpa Worgess. It was so much fun, I remember my grandpa had a hammock and a fish pond, which had real fish. I don't know if this part was true or not, but he used to tell me that the fish would live there all winter. But me being gullible I really don't know, it was real neat to think of the fish in the winter though. Also there were wonderful people all around, one who shared her doughnuts with us kids, she was an amazing woman. Also we got to sleep on the table, which when you are five years old is the coolest thing, come to find out now that I am older it was set up that way, it was a camper. Anyhow, I always remember having a delightful time, from the parking meter my grandpa had to the fire at night and all the memories created for my family. I even remember driving there with my grandparents and we listened to eight tracks on the way, me sitting on my grandma's lap (that is history for you), in a huge truck, I think it must have been a suburban. All these wonderful, fun memories I have of this grand place will live with me forever.

Well, to my point, on my way to class yesterday I heard a bit of news about a place up in Irish Hills named the Prehistoric Forest, which is up for sale. A shiver went through my body and I got a not so happy memory of the great place I spent some of my early childhood. This place for most kids was fun and they would be laughing having a blast as they viewed the plaster Dinosaurs, which were huge!!!! (At least that is the way I like to remember them, keep note this is not a happy memory for me) Well my grandma and grandpa decided they would take us out for some fun and chose this horrible (only my opinion) dinosaur play land. Now I don't remember much but I do remember having to be carried, screaming through this place, what a joy I must have been, papa's little princess. So this is the way I remember it, there were these big dinosaurs and there were these speakers, that made the sounds of the dinosaurs, which were blaring through my unpleasant tantrum. When I heard this place was up for sale I wanted to go get some money, which I am sure I don't have enough of, buy this place and knock all the dinosaurs down. That would bring me a lot of satisfaction and joy to knock all those animals down (reliving a childhood trauma is always good). Well when I came to my senses I concluded that it really was not that bad, I was with two people whom I love very much, and my grandpa did protect me from the dinosaurs that were going to eat me, or at least bite my head off. Besides I know my sister had fun, I remember her skipping happily ahead of me enjoying herself (insert la-dee-da comment here). It really is too bad this place is for sale and in the shambles. Hopefully someone will buy it and many more children will create happy (or traumatizing) memories there. Be rest assured that it will not be me buying the Prehistoric Forest any time soon.

*Thanks to Breakfast with Bubba for the wonderful memory, you can find him at 102.9 W4 Country*

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, life is all about perspective! My grandma Carr took Rachel and I there when we were kids and we loved it. I was probaby 7 and she was 5... (we STILL talk about how great it was, and we have pictures of us by the dinosaurs!!!) Sorry to hear of your dino-trauma! ahaha I think it was called Dinosaur Gardens when we went. Amanda C. :D